As a fundraising consultant, I’m asked to speak at a lot of events. It’s one of my favorite things to do and it’s the best way to share fundraising tools for nonprofits.
If you’ve asked me to speak for your foundation, podcast, or in an interview, chances are I’ve shared with you Speaker Rider’s 10 tips for a meaningfully inclusive event.
It starts by saying: “If you’ve found yourself at this link, you’ve asked someone to speak at your event who actively cares about diversity, equity, and inclusion. Dismantling implicit bias, structural and systemic racism, and years of ingrained inequity takes commitment. The speaker hopes you will join them in this work.”
The reason I share the link is to be very clear that I not only believe in DEI, but that I actively work to promote it in my business and will not be partnering with anyone who does not.
If you’re looking for tips to implement more diversity when creating events,, then please read the 10 tips below:
- Commit to being meaningfully inclusive across all parts of your events.
- Gather speaker demographics and make the data easily accessible.
- Invite speakers who are diverse in gender, background and beliefs.
- Design your panels to not be all white or all male.
- Make sure people from marginalized backgrounds are not all talking about their identity.
- Budget for and clearly publicize meaningful, needs-based financial support for attendees who cannot afford to pay their own way.
- Budget for and clearly publicize meaningful, needs-based financial support for speakers who cannot afford to pay their own way.
- Ensure an accessible, inclusive, and welcoming space.
- Know who is coming to your event.
- Have a strong, enforceable code of conduct with a thorough response plan.
Those are great, right? I’m sure you’ve identified at least three-four you can work on to create a more successful and inclusive event. My hope is that you have at least 6 boxes checked. For details you’re going to wanna read the full Speaker Rider article here.
And if you’re looking for more fundraising courses online, check out my FREE Masterclass on How to Get in Front of Larger Donors and STOP Hounding People for Money!