WHAT THE FUNDRAISING
135: Donor Engagement: Navigating Community Centric Fundraising with Mallory Mitchell
“Gratitude and stewardship was less worship of the written word and more like lived actions, more showing up for people.”
– Mallory Mitchell
In this episode of What the Fundraising Podcast…
There are a lot of questions out there about community-centric fundraising. Will focusing on communities instead of donors hurt your fundraising efforts? What’s the risk of raising money at all costs? What’s the difference in donor engagement and communication when it comes to donor-centric vs. community-centric frameworks? Is it even ‘worth’ the hassle? Well, in this episode, Mallory Mitchell will answer these questions and help you take your fundraising to the next level at the same time.
Meet Mallory, a devoted fundraiser and co-founder of Aligned Strategy Group. Mallory’s love for fundraising began during her undergrad days when she worked in a call center, calling alumni for donations. Over the years, she has developed expertise in helping nonprofits adopt community-centric fundraising principles, focusing on individual giving. Her experiences at Minneapolis Urban League opened her eyes to the struggles faced by BIPOC-led organizations, inspiring her to seek out alternative fundraising methods. Today, she is a strong advocate for community-centric fundraising and its potential to create a more inclusive and equitable sector.
- Check out alignedstrategygroup.com for nonprofit consulting services focused on community centric fundraising and individual giving.
- For more information on community centric fundraising, visit communitycentricfundraising.org.
- I am so excited to be partnering with Neon One to be bringing you this mini-series all about how we improve our donor communications and create more engagement. There is so much wisdom in this series from how to create more engagement in your email campaigns to how to incorporate community centric fundraising practices into your communication. But another resource that I love is the 2023 Neon One Email Report which is designed to give you practical strategies for creating compelling emails to help you improve your email campaign performance. There are great benchmarks, analysis, and tips and tools all in one place so check it out TODAY!
- If you haven’t already, please visit our new What the Fundraising community forum. Check it out and join the conversation at this link.
- If you’re looking to raise more from the right funders, then you’ll want to check out my Power Partners Formula, a step-by-step approach to identifying the optimal partners for your organization. This free masterclass offers a great starting point
TIPS AND TOOLS TO IMPLEMENT TODAY
Mallory Mitchell (she/her) is the Co-Founder of Aligned Strategy Group, a nonprofit fundraising consultancy specializing in community-centric fundraising. She takes great pride in providing the best fundraising education possible and supporting nonprofits in their efforts to align their fundraising practice with their values. Mallory has created fundraising curricula used by nonprofits across the United States, and was a 2021 National Philanthropy Day Award recipient for her extraordinary commitment to advancing racial equity in philanthropy.
Other episodes you would enjoy
I teach nonprofit fundraisers to bring in more gifts from the RIGHT donors… so they can stop hounding people for money. Fundraising doesn’t have to be uncomfortable.